The current Leaving Certificate Economics syllabus is available at the link below. It is assessed at Higher and Ordinary levels. A new Leaving Certificate Economics specification will be implemented from September 2019 and is also available to be viewed here:
The development of a new Leaving Certificate Economics specification began in November 2014.
The background paper and consultation report for Leaving Certificate Economics explores the development of the subject at senior cycle; highlights good practice at home and abroad; and to uses evidence-based research to inform the revision of the specification.
- Background Paper and Brief for Leaving Certificate Economics
- Consultation report on background paper for Leaving Certificate Economics
The Economics Development Group consists of the nominees from a range of education stakeholders including teacher and management bodies, Department of Education and Skills, and the State Examinations Commission. Reports of development group meetings can be accessed here.
- Economics development group meeting - May 2015
- Economics development group meeting - March 2015
- Report from EDG Oct 2015
- Economics development group meeting - September 2015
- Report from EDG 12 Jan 2016
A draft Leaving Certificate Economics specification was developed from November 2014 - February 2017. The draft specification is available here.
The new Leaving Certificate Economics specification is due to be implemented from September 2019. More information is available here: