The NCCA started a review of senior cycle education in late 2016. First, we looked at senior cycle / upper secondary education across nine jurisdictions internationally. Next, teachers, students and parents across 41 schools worked with the NCCA during the school year 2018/2019 to identify key strengths in senior cycle and areas where senior cycle could develop further.
The Interim Report on the review brings together the discussions held during the review in schools, at the national seminars and the national and international research on senior cycle. This document can be accessed below:
The Senior Cycle Consultation document outlines the emerging areas for further consideration in senior cycle.
The senior cycle review entered phase three, public consultation in July. The consultation report and the written submissions from organisations are now available below.
The next stage of the review is the generation of an advisory report. The priority areas, longer-term goals and a proposed timeline and advice on the pace and scale for developments in senior cycle will be generated in the form of an advisory report, which will issue to the Minister for Education and Skills for consideration.
The NCCA wishes to thank all of those who have contributed to the review to date.
The following bulletins were issued to all schools after each cycle of the school-based review.
In addition, the ESRI analysed the feedback from schools over the two cycles of the review in 2018/2019. The reports on these cycles can be found below:
Composite report by the ESRI:
The summary of discussions at the national seminars can be found here.
Focus groups were held around the country to discuss the themes emerging from the review. The focus groups were open to all. The focus groups were held in the following locations:
- DCU, St Patrick's Campus, September 10th
- Donegal Education Centre, September 16th
- Carrick-on-Shannon Education centre, September 17th
- Thurles, Anner Hotel, Monday, September 23rd
- Dublin West Education Centre, Tuesday, October 1st, 4.30-6.30
- Ionad Mhuinteoiri Chonamara/Galway, Thursday, October 3rd
- Cork Education Centre, Monday, October 7th
- Tralee Education Centre, Tuesday, October 8th
- Blackrock Education Centre, Thursday, October 10th
- Laois Education Centre, Tuesday, October 22nd